View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Mark

I just got back from the show today, and although I have been going to every one of these shows for the past ten years or so, I doubt I will be going back any time soon.

The amount of mid grade vintage is becoming non existent. Dealers just aren't interested in carting anything other than high dollar graded cards to these shows. And since they can always move them on ebay, there's no incentive for them to make any deals.

There are three or four sellers I can always count on (Uncle Dick, Chappel, J.D.) but the rest of them just don't seem to have any interest in working the shows anymore. It was hard to get dealer's attention may times and several times I would find tables completely unmanned by anyone capable of making a sale or answering a question.

A couple of dealers couldn't make it out because of the weather (Dave and Adam are out of Buffalo so, understood). Still, the number of dealer tables were WAY down. That meant those who were there were able to get good action. Friday I heard was very good. Saturday was good early in the day but dead by 1:00. Sunday was awful and at least 20 percent of the tables closed up and went home by 1:00.

Since my collection is now focusing on 1950 and earlier I don't tend to buy anything in bulk. When I was working on sets from the 1960's I could always count on lots of cards and saving a TON on ebay shipping fees. That's why I went to these shows. Now that my collection is older I'm only seeing really beat up stuff in the discount boxes or graded/overpriced cards on the tables. There is nothing there I can't find in better condition and cheaper on ebay.

I talked with one dealer (who I won't name here) about a card that he had on his table. He quoted me a price, but when I double checked his own ebay site I found he had that very card listed for 10 percent less than he quoted me.

The trip wasn't a complete loss. I was able to complete my 1951 Topps Blue Back set and I was able to complete three pesky minor insert sets from the 1970's. I was able to get a Tom Glavine autograph, and being a huge Braves fan, that was worth the trip.

The national is in Chicago next year and I will certainly go for that. But as for the regular Chicago shows, it's no longer worth the effort for me.