View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:04 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
People often try and compare cards to stocks. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Perhaps it comes closest to being such a pure comparison for someone interested in a mercenary sale of any given card for sheer profit. But I'd venture that usually those seeking to own a card like a 52 Mantle have some genuine affinity for it on a sentimental, aesthetic, or collector level. Each card is a discrete entity with its own appealing or unappealing characteristics. There is a daily enjoyment and pride of ownership. A stock or other traditional investment tool just is not the same in those respects. I have never looked at stocks or bonds the way I look at cards or a painting or a rare book. Just intrinsically such different animals, though all can be worth money.

The guy that started the thread asked if the card was a good investment.......i agree there is enjoyment as a hobby and self satisfaction for our obsession in this hobby if we actually make money on a card.....but just as an investment id rather invest in other areas.....

plus once you start looking to buy commons cards for a set..you are going to lose money....sure if want 25 1952 mantles..you are doing well .but nobody that loves cards just buys only 'investment' cards...thats where we all end up paying for the hobby..but its a hobby...its fun..and it costs money just like any hobby..