View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
This example really only addresses the height that Shelly wanted to see another example of, it doesn't address Scott's request for one that matches letter for letter :-) Wanted to post something to look at though as I wouldn't want anyone to go deaf from silence poisoning :-)
Also, I did not ask for one that matches letter for letter; however, when one or two letters stand out as being so different from anything the signer ever produced, it's worth noting. My original statement (expanded here) was that when an autograph looks off;i.e-your gut feeling is that it's bad, then it's worth going over it letter by letter. In this case, the 'y' in Mickey stood out as UNIQUE. 'Unique' is a big deal - even 2-3 or 5-10 would be a big deal in terms of the huge population of Mantle autographs. Also, for that time period, the 'n' looks absolutely nothing like any of the autographs Mike produced. Two letters in a single autograph that are 'anomalies' are a big deal. This is not a 'drunk Mantle' signature, or you might make that allowance;to the contrary, having two 'M's in the same Mantle that both are done this well, is actually not the norm, even in Mantle's best examples, as you can see from Mike's examples.

But I agree with Shelly - you guys certainly did your research and gave great response. Thanks.