View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

We have had some very interesting thoughts lately in this forum, on how to decide when to buy an expensive autograph. I recommend using this sub-forum as an educational tool to help you learn how to authenticate autographs that you are interested in learning more about, for a future purchase, but taking a vote here and then making a decision, is nonsense.

(feather ruffling time) A good example would be the recent Mantle thread where more than half of the posters said it was good. Everyone who knew Mantle autographs said it was bad, but most of those people said it offline via email and phone conversations - they just didn't want to get into a forum fight, while I don't mind at all. By my count, the meaningful vote ended up being 5-0 against (I did not include my vote), but the forum vote was 4-3 (or close to it) in favor of. I'm not dis'ing the forum opinions, as two of them were well-thought-out and explained;however, the OP ended up buying a bad Mantle because of our forum and the information it provided.

On the other hand, that discussion was great if the OP was trying to learn about Mantle autographs, but wasn't planning to make an immediate purchase. Accumulate enough knowledge to be confident enough to make a decision on your own, then contact people you trust to validate your decision, and THEN buy.