View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Bernie

Regarding the double edged sword:

I suspect the "fear factor" is to "tip" a forgerer on how to make better forgeries. The other side is that one helps a lot of collectors in helping identify what is real. If someone goes into the forgery, they will likely do it with some help (it takes $ and some degree of sponsorship) and I suspect that if someone practices the forgeries to become an expert, he/she will study and develop their own techniques. On the other hand, the larger number of people which become educated and now have a better appreciation for what to look for in an authentic signature, I believe outweighs the negatives. no doubt there are pros and cons, but I am of the opinion that the pros outweigh the cons. Cardboard connection has some top level examples of what to look for on a Babe Ruth signature, bt this amounts to the tip of the tip of an iceberg, and, is perhaps the economic equivalent of "buy low- sell high" advice. Nonetheless, it is a start. I do hope that readers come to a similar conclusion and choose to share tips (not all of which are bound to be correct)