View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Curt

Default 1970s Dodgers 8x10 Color Team Issue Photos

Can anyone here confirm that they ever bought these photos directly from the Dodgers either at the stadium or via mail order in packages like these pictured? I have many of the single photos collected over time and never really knew how they were distributed. A few months back though, several packs of photos showed up on ebay and it seems reasonable that this is how they might have been sold by Dodger concessions in the 70s or possible via mail order. I have 4 packs, but 2 didn't have price tags, yet they could very easily have slipped out as the packs are only "sealed" with a single staple on the top. It's very low tech, but it was the 70s after all. I can almost picture Danny Goodman (or his staff more likely) stuffing these bags with 4 new photos and dropping in a price tag before stapling them shut.

It would be extremely cool if this is how they were originally sold and someone, somewhere has a list of the various packs (sets) and what year they were sold. Wishful thinking I am sure at this point. The other less exciting prospect is that some random dealer sold theirs this way and I happen to have purchased a few of their repacks.

I have always wondered how they were sold and how to date them. This may be a clue in the right direction. although they are still mostly a mystery as opposed to the more common 5x7 B&W Photos, which were sold 20 per marked manilla envelope for varying prices throughout the 70s and early 80s.