View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Matt

Hi Brian,

My evolving preference for SGC has to do with two basic factors:

1. Aesthetics. The cards just look best, in my opinion, in these holders. The PSA holders by comparison look cheap to my eye and simply do not frame the cards in as majestic a manner.

Anecdotally, I recently visited my cousin during the holiday, who has always collected and is now getting into graded cards for the protection of the card, as opposed to all his old screw downs, LOL. His mind was utterly impartial when he looked at my cards, and said, "Why do you have some in these cheap looking clear plastic ones and others in these awesome black ones?"

That pure knee-jerk assessment pretty much sums it up.

I collect more Post War cards, but also a healthy amount of Pre War favorites. As to the tangential issue of potential resale and value, which inevitably arises in a discussion of preferred holder, I am a believer in the primacy of the card— and thus have faith that a great card like your Jackie Robinson will get its price no matter what the holder, provided enough collectors get eyeballs on it over time. Also, if a collector is intending to hold a card for ten years, twenty years, and way beyond, it is impossible to predict what company's holder will be the most trusted in that timeframe. So I say go with what pleases you in terms of enjoying and displaying your collection, and address factors of bumps, numerical grade, and resale when that time comes.

2. I believe that SGC grades consistently, and lets the card get its deserving grade, without considering how much money it is worth to the collector, what it will do for their brand in terms of diluting pop reports, and whether or not assigning a stingy grade will incite a card's owner to engage in repeated reviews or submissions, paying a new fee each time in hopes that the subjective number put on the sticker will finally reflect the truth of the card.

Anyways, hope sharing that take on the subject is beneficial.

Best,

Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 01-09-2015 at 12:54 PM.