View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1980 Coins

I bought a gold colored Jackson on ebay from a guy, who then asked me what I would pay for a full set of 3 bronze ones. We talked price over a long period and I finally bought them. I then sort of traded the Jackson for another obscure Topps item.

Not sure why SCD lists the prices it does for some items, such as the 55 Stamps, 61 Dice, 66 Punch Outs, 70 Cloth, 71 Rookie Artists Proofs or the 77 Topps proofs. In some cases Bob Lemke would note an auction price paid for one of the items in one of those sets and I assume would then extrapolate prices for the others in some way. But I do not think any of us who try to collect any those give much thought to such prices in deciding how much to offer or spend.

For example I have never seen in person one of the Topps 1971 Rookie Artists Proof that Craig posted some time back. If he offered one of them, say the Munson, for sale I would expect anyone who wanted it would know they would have to spend more than the $750 listed in the Catalog to get it.

Actually, I would guess few people today use the Catalog as an accurate price guide for anything listed in it