View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Two times ten years apart for basically the same reason.

When I first got into vintage cards when eBay started I built a 1955 Topps set. Took about two years to slowly put it together but the thrill of the hunt was much more fun then the knowledge of knowing it was done. I ended up busting it up and selling most of it (kept the Clemente and Koufax) to pay for my wife and my honeymoon.

I had slowly been working on another project that took much longer to achieve. I wanted one card from every HOFer in the twentieth century on from when they played. On a tight budget I finally did it. I ended with a Honus Wagner.

Last year I decided to bust up half of it. I sold everything prewar except a few, Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Gehrig, Speaker, Young, and Johnson. I took the money and gave it to my wife for her 40th birthday to take any trip of her choice it would afford. She ended up going to Cape Cod with me for a second honeymoon. The experience and memories we had far outweighed having the cards. She has been my biggest supporter in this hobby and had always been behind me. In fact, my aviator is a photo of a display case I made showing cards she has personally purchased for me over the years.

No regrets.

Drew