View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 AM
Joe

Default American Pickers

I’m a big fan of “American Pickers” – yeah, I know it is all scripted – but the items are real. Was watching a rerun episode last night, that actually showed some sports memorabilia/equipment. It’s rare they ever show much sports related, and if so it’s not profiled and is something very common. I get it – it’s not their area and probably doesn’t appeal to the masses in the audience like most of which they profile.

This was Season 8, Episode 7, entitled “Mad as a Picker” (the one where they pick for “Dolly Word”). In this episode the guy has a hoard of everything imaginable as he decorates for restaurants (you know – the stuff nailed to wall in “Fridays”). While nothing sports related at all was mentioned in the episode (aside from Dave Ohrt buying a cool large Trophy), the camera momentarily scanned shelves of sports items including, bats, gloves, trophies, skis and snow shoes, etc..

It’s a shame they don’t profile a few more sports items in the series. Even when they may show interest and pick through some sports items, I imagine it ends up of the editing cutting room floor and we never see it. In a few episodes they mention sports related items sell quickly in their store (which I am not sure is real or not, or even if the store is real). I haven’t seen all episodes, and perhaps there is one that profiles some sports, but it would be cool if they could devote an episode to Sports. It wouldn’t be that hard and they could use the expertise of many of this board to help stage and produce it.

Here is a picture of the bats they quickly showed last night for 2 seconds, but made no mention of them.

image.jpg

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 01-16-2015 at 08:45 PM.