View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Is that the biggest bust of all time? Has anyone ever overspent more or wasted more on a single item? I can't immediately think of anything that's been a bigger bust.
I am friends with McFarlane's brother in law. I asked him how they felt about this perception. It was explained to me that although he is a huge fan he is a businessman as well. The purchase of the ball resulted in valuable publicity for his company. After the purchase he appeared on many network TV shows which generated free advertising for his business. I am certain that the time he spent on TV being interviewed about the ball was far more valuable to his company than the money spent on the ball. I can only imagine what that amount of network advertising would cost. Ironically people are still talking about the purchase of the ball because it has been devalued by the PED stigma attached to it which of course is continued free publicity. The investment in the ball paid for itself in free advertising and continues to do so.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)