Thread: Instant Classic
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I think Burnett made a smart decision. Look at the play again. How much additional yardage would he have gained? Maybe 5 yards? I've seen too many players try and be a hero by turning a reception into a big play and then end up turning the ball right back over.

What I didn't like was the play calls after the interception. GB should have gone for the jugular at that point. Instead, they played it conservatively and were playing not to lose instead of playing to win - run, run, run, punt - meanwhile Seattle calling timeouts between each run. GB should have shoved the ball down their throat after that interception and they failed to do so.
The t.v. pundits always have wonderful hind-sight on this sort of thing. When the Cowboys player recovered a fumble against Detroit and then fumbled while running it, they were quick to say that Dallas could have iced the game if he had simply gone to the ground. The Burnett decision is a little different, in that another 3 points really would have iced the game. I think he could have gotten a lot more than 5 yards, but I totally understand his (and Culpepper's) decision to down it - if McCarthy had handled the rest of the game, Burnett's decision would have been wise...in hindsight.

I sure loved re-watching the game, and I was grinning ear-to-ear watching each amazing play that had to occur in order for the miracle to occur. It's weird knowing I've seen the greatest sporting event I'll ever witness in my life, but I said the same thing after Ryan's 7th no-hitter, so maybe there's more.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-21-2015 at 05:31 PM.