View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Andrew

Default 1987 Topps Autographed Set In Progress

I am roughly 300 cards away from completing a signed 1987 Topps set. I started in June 2014 and have been working steadily ever since. My recommendations would echo that of some of the other folks posting:
1.) Every set is going to have a "white whale" player or two. For 1987 Topps it is Dick Howser (who passed away in June of 1987) and Ricky Wright (who will not sign his card (although a graded version was sold 3-4 years ago for an insane price).
2.) For team leader cards I go for a signature of at least one of the folks depicted.
3.) I would recommend buying graded cards for your "star" players but would go ungraded for most commons or minor stars.
4.) I was a AAA batboy in the early 90's so I have a good number of autographs from the era. I try to find ebay sellers who have the same folks I secured autographs from in-person so I can compare the signatures and determine who is a reputable seller (I mean who is going to forge a Mike Kingery autograph and list it for $1.76 BIN?).

My question for the rest of the set collectors is do you have anyone sign the checklists? I would love to secure an 1987 Topps checklist signed by Sy Berger if there are any out there.

Thanks!
Andrew
5.)