View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Bill Gregory

Love love love love Rush! I've seen them three times in concert, have seven of their CDs (I had all of their albums on cassette; I've just been lazy replacing the others, as I usually listen to them online). I have their Rush In Rio 2 disc set on DVD, and Clockwork Angels Tour on Blu Ray.

I'm a guitarist myself, and Alex Leifson is one of my biggest musical influences. His playing style, including his use of wide arpeggios, was instrumental in developing my own style. I incorporate a lot of Leifson, David Gilmour, and John Petrucci into my improvs at home.

Geddy Lee is, of course, the human oompa loompa machine. When you consider the wall of sound that Rush puts out, so much of that is due to Geddy. His voice is instantly recognizable, though his range has lessened somehwhat in recent years. But he's just a spectacular bassist. Then, he plays keyboards, and the Moog Taurus peddals. And, of course, when Alex and Neil are doing their solos, he's off on the side of the stage feeding fans rotisserie chicken, and helping them with their laundry, too. Talk about going all out for the fan!

Then, there's Neil Peart. If he's not the greatest living rock percussionist, he's pretty damned close. He is at the very pinnacle of rock drummers. There are few I'd put in the same category..maybe Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. The reason it's so hard to put other people in the same category is that he's not only a brilliant technical drummer, but his feel is incredible, and he can play so many different kinds of music. I love watching him with a big band, like when he's doing a Buddy Rich tribute. Besides his drumming, he's the best lyricist in rock and roll. My parents had Bob Dylan. I have Peart. That's all I need to say.

When you put these three men together, the result is magical. I was born in late 1971. This trio has been together since I was three years old! They've gone through some real tragedy, and yet, they keep chugging on. And the Rush fan base is fanatical for a reason. We love everything they do. Everything. Blah blah, blah blah blah.

Blah Blah? Blah blah blah! LOL

By the way, I knew Geddy loved baseball from reading Rush album liner notes. I didn't know he was that big into the game's history, though. So cool!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-23-2015 at 09:22 PM.