View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Hi-
Despite the silvering and old look, I am fairly certain this is a fairly well known fake that has been discussed on Net54 multiple times in the past. I even saw one that a fairly well known dealer had at a show. I believe he pulled it from his case after I explained that it was a fake. I think it comes with multiple backs as I thought at least one other had a Minnesota photographer's back on it. I hope you can get your money back.

Alan
Do all of them come with the facsimile signature at the bottom? I've never had one of these in hand, so if someone else has, and knows it's a modern reproduction, please ignore the rest of my comments.

I think it's been established that the signature is a facsimile. Given that it's a very good facsimile of an unusual and early (1910's) Wagner signature (J Hans Wagner), if I'm right about the photographer and the year (1913), Wagner chose this photographer to do a very high-quality portrait, but I've only seen two examples of his photos of ballplayers (both of Wagner). If the print is period (I personally have no idea), then it's possible that in addition to the portrait that stayed in Wagner's family until recently, Wagner also had a bunch of these smaller 'seated' images created by the same photography studio. It's even possible that they were printed 'cdv size' so that they could be pasted to old cdv backings for display. The big question is whether or not these are period silver gel prints.