View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Dan--

Just a couple of thoughts. I noticed two of your fine shadow box displays were of Brooks Robinson and Warren Spahn. I have read that these two are among the most friendly and gregarious autograph guests, leaving fans extremely glad that they had taken the time and spent the money to stand in line and meet these two greats. They truly would make a fan know they were grateful for their remembering and honoring them. It would not surprise me if the occasion spawned some future collecting of these respective player's cards and memorabilia.

Unfortunately, I have also read of some former star athletes who were the antithesis of Brooks and Warren. I shall not go into details or name names, but I fear any collectors of those players were suddenly killed off, and their collections sold off.

But the names and heritage of Brooks and Warren will remain rosy long after their leaving us.

Again, those are nice player displays. It just goes to show you needn't jam-pack an area to express how much you like and appreciate an athlete you love. ---Brian Powell

PS--As most of us have read, the Mighty Babe was great with his legions of fans. I cannot remember where I read it, but I know I read where after the first game of the 1927 World Series in Pittsburgh, outside the player's entrance a group of fans had gathered to get the Babe's autograph. He asked for a stool so he could ablige his many adoring admirers. Folks, Babe sat there and signed away until long after it got dark! What kind of a memory would that leave somebody 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years later?!?!

Last edited by brian1961; 03-29-2015 at 06:31 PM.