View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

1989 Anchorage Glacier Pilots 1982 Mark McGwire #N/A - Mark McGwire
Courtesy of COMC.com

But that card was manufactured specifically to be sold on television, which is why you mentioned Home Shopping Channel. It was a ~1989 card made in the style of earlier minor league cards.

Kind of like the "1984" US Olympics Michael Jordan Missing Link "pre-rookie" card; I got mine probably in 1987-88 but they were made around that time as well.
I did not know this, and you have crushed my dreams, thanks a lot LOL - I just did a search, and found this interesting tidbit here ...

This blue-bordered card features a black and white photo of young Mark McGwire. Interestingly, McGwire was listed as both a first baseman and pitcher, and the card was issued to honor a no-hitter he threw in the American Legion finals against a Laramie, Wyoming team. The card was actually produced in two printings between 1988 and 1989. One printing for a California distributor resulted in mostly off-centered cards, while the second printing (for the team itself) was centered.