View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM

The response caused me to dig a little more deeply ... here is what I came up with (already updated in the original posting as well!)

EDIT: So, apparently, there is more to this story than meets the eye! The 1982 McGwire was not actually made in 1982. Here is what Beckett says:

This blue-bordered card features a black and white photo of young Mark McGwire. Interestingly, McGwire was listed as both a first baseman and pitcher, and the card was issued to honor a no-hitter he threw in the American Legion finals against a Laramie, Wyoming team. The card was actually produced in two printings between 1988 and 1989. One printing for a California distributor resulted in mostly off-centered cards, while the second printing (for the team itself) was centered.

Now, to go even further with this ... the card was sealed in an huge holder with holograms on the top and bottom, and was sold for $1,000 when paired with his 1985 Topps McGwire card from the Shop at Home network back in the 90's. Here is an invoice I tracked down online:

Gosh, I love cards and their history - This stuff is really interesting to me!