View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
There was always a little bleed through along the Northern border with Topps cards but I never realized it also went the other way. On Long Island, no OPC back then, that's for sure.
Yes...we bought OPC cards in packs in the 70's in Arlington, WA...that is about 40 miles south of the border. We used to yell at our mom when she brought packs home from that convenience store and not from the "big" supermarket that carried Topps. As you went north it was more OPC than Topps, especially near Bellingham.

Steve B...that is super weird, as we had the SAME experience. That same mom and pop in Arlington store late in 1979 got a shipment of 1978 OPC cards. Mom came home with a pack, we were shocked. We did send her back to the store and she brought home two boxes, she said it was all they had. Getting 78's in 79 to us was cool, even if they were OPC. My childhood 78 set is still littered with OPC with the cards I couldn't trade out, haha. With two stories like this I bet they had a surplus on 78s and forced them out to retailers.

With all that said, I am with Matty...seeing some of the OPC cards are now pretty cool and the fact others are passionate about them is neat...especially considering they are more rare. Those 71's actually do POP with that yellow.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03