View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Marty

As I have probably rambled about in other posts, growing up an hour south of Niagara Falls, I am fortunate enough to have great memories of OPC baseball cards I bought on cross border excursions. Things I loved and still remember -

The gum was much better than the Topps gum! I went through an old storage box and found a stack of OPC wrappers from the late 70s, and when I flipped through them, I could still smell the gum! Might not have been Doc Brown's Delorean, but I was truly in a time machine for a few moments!

They were cool and unique, especially the ones with both English and French on them - always loved issues that were different!

The 1974 Hank Aaron Specials with only two cards pictured on each!

And the edges! Some look like they were cut with blades duller than a year old razor!

Always stunning to me that people didn't love them as much as I did. One time I talked with my friend's son in the 90s, who collected cards, and was surprised to hear that he and his friends joked about OPCs as poor knockoffs. Made me feel bad for my old cardboard friends!

Last edited by laughlinfan; 04-15-2015 at 12:39 PM.