Thread: May pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default An Unusual Addition

An unusual addition to my collection; wasn’t sure if I should post here or on memorabilia side. It is an antique chest that based on patents and contents within likely dates from somewhere between 1873 and 1888. I purchased it from a dealer who specializes in antique trunks and he indicated he purchased it from Detroit.

What makes it interesting is how it was decorated with some 1888 Detroit Wolverine Scrapps (or more correctly, H. D. Smith & Co Baseball Gum Die-Cuts). The seller restored the chest but left all the original décor within untouched.

The Scrapps include Bennett, Brouthers, Getzien, Dunlap/Hanlon, Richardson, and Thompson. It appears that the original/early owner initially included Dunlap in the collection but opted to place Hanlon’s head and name over him. Reasons for the update may be linked to Dunlap’s move to Pittsburgh for the 1888 season while all the others remained with Detroit. The Scrapps are not in particularly great shape but that doesn't matter to me and will remain as they are as long as the trunk is in my care.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers