View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Todd Schultz

It looks like Roger Metzger standing behind the base at the kid's baseball clinic.
That dates those photos to the early 70's.

The 10th Anniversary photo is a bit strange to me. The dome didn't open for baseball until 1965, although construction began in 1962. The players are not wearing 1975 Astros uniforms, which was the first year of those multi-colored striped monstrosities, so it is not ten years from opening. I suppose it's possible the photo was taken pre-season '75, which makes some sense as that was 10 yrs from when Mantle homered, and that the fugly uniforms were not unveiled for a few more weeks. The featured player with the glove looks very familiar-- he has kind of a scowl that I know I've seen on a 60's Topps baseball card. Still, to me he does not look like anyone who appeared in that first pre-season game, if this was some sort of reunion, which it likely was given the people in the photo (Although I don't know why some are wearing street clothes while others are wearing the new, double-knit Astros unis).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.