Thread: T206 focus
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 03:49 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
I asked this to a friend of mine the other day....

Anyone here ever taken their entire collection, liquidated it and then just put it all back into one really nice card?

Example: sale a near complete nice conditioned set of t-206's and then find/buy an eddie plank or something similar (minus the Wagner)..

Or is the fun of collecting and having multiples the top priority?
I didn't do that exactly, but in 2003, after collecting T206s for a year, I bid on a Plank. I lost out at the end (I had bid $11k, it went for $12k). I told myself that I would keep buying commons, and get the Plank "someday."

I realized later that I should have made the Plank the priority. You can always find the small cards, but the big ones are hard to come by, and they always hold their value. So my advice to the newer collectors, Jimmy, Josh, etc., is to make whatever sacrifices you can for a special card. You won't regret it, and it will be the centerpiece of your collection. And you can always sell, usually at a profit, if you need to.

It worked out okay for me, three tries later I got my Plank. But I still regret not going harder for that one in 2003.

PS- that same Plank that I just missed sold again in 2010. For $75,000.

Last edited by Sean; 06-15-2015 at 03:53 AM.