Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Wow, it doesn't get much better than that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks a lot, Chris!! Lord knows I'd love to tackle Campy one day.

In the meantime, here are two more I got back from my photographers today:

Rube Marquard, September 20, 1912, 24" x 20"

Mickey Mantle, May 4, 1951, 16" x 20"

I'd been meaning to get Rube photographed for a while, as I finished him last year. I had always really loved the image, as he just seemed super young and confident - a great subject for a painting if I ever saw one. It was really tough to get my hands on a nice quality version of the photograph, too. Being a Conlon, I'm pretty sure that the original negative still existed, but for whatever reason, John Rogers' company never made it available on their website. So I had to dig pretty deep. In the end, I'm pretty happy with how he came out.

The other image was also a lot of fun, but posed an interesting challenge. Once again, dealing with flash photography ain't terribly easy. In this case, the game (which was against the Browns in Mantle's first trip out west in '51) was a night affair, so the image itself was probably taken as the sun was starting to go down. The lights on the towers aren't even on, but with the flash bulb, the sky ends up appearing a lot darker than it actually is. Mantle himself pops pretty well, I think, but even that was tough, considering how washed out his face had to be. The majority of the color in there is cooler than it normally would be (as the flash itself is a cooler one), so I did my best to intermingle a lot of complementary hues to give it a shimmering quality. It doesn't really present itself that way in this particular photograph, but in real life, I think I got it. Maybe. Either way, his smile can't be denied.

Anywho, hope you guys dig it. If you have any questions, comments, or criticisms, please feel free to post away!

As per usual, thanks for reading.

Graig

PS: Now, onto the '27 Yankees!

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2015 at 10:16 AM.