View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkereversandme View Post
I am a casual seller and a small percentage of the time the transactions have been rather terrible. I once sold an item for $17 and four months later PayPal removed the funds because a "chargeback" occurred and it took me three weeks to get my $17 back. Then there were two International orders that didn't reach their destination and it was my fault despite the fact that I showed proof of shipping (Russian Federation and Italy) and I have heard horror stories of people "saying" that what the received was an empty box when items were in fact sent. Ebay tends to favor the buyer it seems. I have two items I want to sell on ebay and they should bring a few thousand dollars and I am sure a lot of you sell items of that size and bigger all the time and was wondering if you ever had any issues and what measures should I take to protect myself?

I appreciate your input. I love this site.

Regards,

Larry
Larry,
I am right now in the processfor the first time ever, of doing this very thing on eBay that you are asking about. The only fear I have is the recipient claiming he/she received an empty box, and I don't know if there is any way to avoid this possibility. I was planning to consign this scarce Mickey Mantle card, which may be the single most valuable card I own (but am no longer interested in because my collecting focus has been on pre-War cards for the last 15 years or so), to one of the top-tier auction houses (e.g., REA or Heritage), but I kept hesitating because I (erroneously?) believed these auction still charge a seller's commission (I am aware that several middle-tier auction houses don't, and I have used a few of them in the past, but was hesitant to for this card): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-54-Brig...e=STRK:MESE:IT
I don't believe I have ever sold anything worth more than $500 or so on eBay. FYI, what persuaded me to list this Mantle card on eBay is the special offer I received via email from eBay a couple of weeks ago - this special offer is that eBay's final value fee (i.e., the seller's commission) will be a maximum of $20, no matter what the sales price of the item is (but no reduction in the PayPal fee). So, I'll see how it goes - wish me luck!!
Val