View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Hey Tom, nice looking ball...

I think you are spot on... A few signed Wisconsin league balls hit the market last summer... There was also a ball signed by some players on the Great Lakes naval team including their coach Mickey cochrane whom I beleive led the team from 42-44. They were all 97 league balls.

Hope this helps!
Dave
Thanks or this Dave.

My research has found the "97 League" balls by Goldsmith through around 1948. After that they became MacGregor Goldsmith, then eventually just MacGregor. I am not certain as to when the "97 League" ball first came to fruition. I believe it to have been greatly used by many minor leagues throughout the Great Depression but am not sure exactly when they came to be. The earliest one with red only lacing that I have found is 1941. But that one had a rubber center.

What I am not sure of is if there may have been different variations of the "97 League" ball. If there was just one version, then I think 1944 or 1945 is pretty accurate. However, if the ball could be ordered in black/red or just red in the same year....or if it was made with either the cushioned cork center or rubber center in the same year...then it all goes out the window and I have no clue how to date this thing.

And that "cc" after the 97. Never seen another with that on there.

Thanks again Dave.

Tom C