View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
I'm guessing the Ebay bidders were possibly not bidding in the Heritage auction, or even aware of it. I am sure there are a lot of people that bid on Ebay that don't use auction houses because they either don't know, or don't care, about the AHs, or may even figure that they would pay more through an AH what with the buyer's premium and such that usually gets tacked on to the hammer price. In this case, it turned out to be just the opposite, and only three days after Leon's auction ended!

Sometimes Ebay gets bidders who dont want to wait months on an auction..and Paypal by credit card is a lot easier than sending a check in the mail....
where is george carlin or dennis miller when ya need them?

ok, i will give it a stab...

i am one of these people, yet i don't feel like i necessarily get better deals on ebay. i feel like i do save time and a ton of aggravations though.

and i don't wanna go off on a rant here, but:

1. there's too damn many of them.

2. the range of different buyer's premiums
____a. this one always get's me: 19.5%*

* just call it 20% and quit fn toying w/ me. you're not doing me any favors by playing coy @ "19.5%" and keeping it under the unmagical number of 20%.
as if simply calling it a 20% buyer's premium is gonna put you in the scumbag class. you know what does put you in that class? going up to 19.5% and getting as close to that unmagical number as you possibly can w/o just being the guy that simply says: "20% buyers premium".

3. i don't want to have to create 20 different accounts and:
____a. divulge my personal info to a bunch of randars
____b. subject myself to give out references (really?)
____c. create another user id to remember (b/c you wont let me use the one i want)
____d. create another password to remember
_______1. some require capital letters
_______2. some require special characters
_______3. some require letters and numbers
_______4. some require capital letters, special characters, letters and numbers
_______5. however, i can rest assured knowing that they will never allow me to use the password i actually want to use.

4. wait around for the wizard to approve me

5. not be able to pay via paypal or at least via credit card
____a. you want me to send ya a check? really. should i send it via horseback? it's 2015 for mastro's sake!
____b. who doesn't like points, free trips or 2% cash back?
____c. who doesn't like 1 - 30 days of free money?
____d. who doesn't want someone else having your back should something transpire

6. not be able to pay w/ a credit card AND not have a fee tacked on
____a. see 2. you've already got me for "19.5%".
____b. now ya wanna charge me another 3% to take my credit card?
____c. go ahead and tack on that processing and handling fee while you are at it.

7. sit around and "preview" for a solid month before the auction starts**

8. then wait around for another month for the auction process**

** as if 7. and 8. weren't enough...i just love this sh!t coming up next: love potion 9.

9. then wait around some more to engage in the wonderful extended bidding war process
____a. just plain bullsh!t if ya ask me
____b. see 7. we've already waited a month to begin with
____c. after 2 fn months of previewing and auctioning, you want me to sit up til 4am and 5am so the bidders can toy w/ each other?

10. shipping.
____a. wont name names, but it took one auction house 3+ weeks to get my package in the mail***

*** not to me. just dropped off. 3+ weeks.

11. no recourse if the ball is dropped
____a. at least w/ ebay if someone screws up. i can neg feedback them and/or caution others
____b. w/ an auction house, what are ya gonna do?

12. i simply cant look at 1 page and see all the items i'm interested in.

13. sales tax.

14. THE FN BUYER'S PREMIUM!
____a. simply hate any buyer's premium. charge that sh!t to the seller. or better yet, simply throw that sh!t up on ebay. let me see it and let's iron out a deal directly where the only fee is via paypal.

could go on and on. i've tried a few different auction houses and to me, it's simply the old school way of doing business. not that there's anything wrong w/ it. it's just not for me and i doubt it will be around for too much longer. "too much longer" being a relative term.

hell, even the auction houses are getting wise these days and advertise their auctions w/ an actual ebay listing and even heritage allows you to login w/ your paypal account and pay (up to $5K, i think) using them....

believe this is fairly recent and a wise move.

again, "fairly recent" being a relative term. as i know this wasn't an option in 2013.

ok, that's enough. auction houses rock. they are the best, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-17-2015 at 11:58 PM.