View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
where is george carlin or dennis miller when ya need them?

ok, i will give it a stab...

i am one of these people, yet i don't feel like i necessarily get better deals on ebay. i feel like i do save time and a ton of aggravations though.

and i don't wanna go off on a rant here, but:

1. there's too damn many of them.

2. the range of different buyer's premiums
____a. this one always get's me: 19.5%*

* just call it 20% and quit fn toying w/ me. you're not doing me any favors by playing coy @ "19.5%" and keeping it under the unmagical number of 20%.
as if simply calling it a 20% buyer's premium is gonna put you in the scumbag class. you know what does put you in that class? going up to 19.5% and getting as close to that unmagical number as you possibly can w/o just being the guy that simply says: "20% buyers premium".

3. i don't want to have to create 20 different accounts and:
____a. divulge my personal info to a bunch of randars
____b. subject myself to give out references (really?)
____c. create another user id to remember (b/c you wont let me use the one i want)
____d. create another password to remember
_______1. some require capital letters
_______2. some require special characters
_______3. some require letters and numbers
_______4. some require capital letters, special characters, letters and numbers
_______5. however, i can rest assured knowing that they will never allow me to use the password i actually want to use.

4. wait around for the wizard to approve me

5. not be able to pay via paypal or at least via credit card
____a. you want me to send ya a check? really. should i send it via horseback? it's 2015 for mastro's sake!
____b. who doesn't like points, free trips or 2% cash back?
____c. who doesn't like 1 - 30 days of free money?
____d. who doesn't want someone else having your back should something transpire

6. not be able to pay w/ a credit card AND not have a fee tacked on
____a. see 2. you've already got me for "19.5%".
____b. now ya wanna charge me another 3% to take my credit card?
____c. go ahead and tack on that processing and handling fee while you are at it.

7. sit around and "preview" for a solid month before the auction starts**

8. then wait around for another month for the auction process**

** as if 7. and 8. weren't enough...i just love this sh!t coming up next: love potion 9.

9. then wait around some more to engage in the wonderful extended bidding war process
____a. just plain bullsh!t if ya ask me
____b. see 7. we've already waited a month to begin with
____c. after 2 fn months of previewing and auctioning, you want me to sit up til 4am and 5am so the bidders can toy w/ each other?

10. shipping.
____a. wont name names, but it took one auction house 3+ weeks to get my package in the mail***

*** not to me. just dropped off. 3+ weeks.

11. no recourse if the ball is dropped
____a. at least w/ ebay if someone screws up. i can neg feedback them and/or caution others
____b. w/ an auction house, what are ya gonna do?

12. i simply cant look at 1 page and see all the items i'm interested in.

13. sales tax.

14. THE FN BUYER'S PREMIUM!
____a. simply hate any buyer's premium. charge that sh!t to the seller. or better yet, simply throw that sh!t up on ebay. let me see it and let's iron out a deal directly where the only fee is via paypal.

could go on and on. i've tried a few different auction houses and to me, it's simply the old school way of doing business. not that there's anything wrong w/ it. it's just not for me and i doubt it will be around for too much longer. "too much longer" being a relative term.

hell, even the auction houses are getting wise these days and advertise their auctions w/ an actual ebay listing and even heritage allows you to login w/ your paypal account and pay (up to $5K, i think) using them....

believe this is fairly recent and a wise move.

again, "fairly recent" being a relative term. as i know this wasn't an option in 2013.

ok, that's enough. auction houses rock. they are the best, yada, yada, yada.
+1 I have never bought or sold anything in an auction because it just seemed like a pain in the ass to me. I never complained about it or bothered to think about all the reasons why it was a pain, or to catalogue the reasons, but I got a kick out of this list and agreed with a lot of it. That said, I do enjoy looking at the listings and descriptions, and Leon's in particular was amazing to see.