View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
M-@-t-t--H-@-f-f-n-e-r

Default Great Memories of 1970s Purchases

During the 1970s I had three great avenues for purchasing old cards in Chicago and through the mail.
1. A flea market at the drive-in near 74th and California. There was a guy who must have been at least 80 years old. He always had old cards including 1961 Topps in homemade cello packs. Almost every pack had Billy Williams or Wille Mays on top. He was there every week for years.

2. The famous Sports Collectors Store on Archer Avenue - also near California Ave. I remember when one of us asked for a 1963 Fleer Clemente, which we all ended up buying. They pulled out a box with at least 200 of them. Most of the guys involved in that store were seen regularly at shows throughout the years. They had everything and lots of it. I'd spend all of my money and walk/run home - seven miles.

3. Someone in the neighborhood got an address for a guy who used his typewriter to create a list of cards for sale. We regularly bought from Russell D. Walters from Michigan. I don't know why he used his middle initial. Getting those cards in the mail made for a great week. I have always wondered what happened to him.