View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 12:11 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Early on I was convinced that Brady cheated-- and I'm not saying he didn't. However, the NFL/Goodell did so many kangaroo court things they deserve what they got. Too many list, but they intentionally leaked false information about the inflation rates and refused to correct it when it was pointed it out as incorrect (even the ESPN reporter who received the information said the information was false), they tried him on one offense but sentenced him on another, the penalty is inconsistent with any similar offense, they didn't allow Brady's lawyers to interview numerous key people, they said the Wells report was independent but it was edited by NFL's own lawyer (and didn't allow Brady's lawyer to cross examine that lawyer)-- and that's just scratching the surface of the dubious things the NFL things did. Most people still have the sense that Brady cheated in major part based on initial leaked PSI information that was long ago proven to be false, and probably intentionally leaked by the NFL to mislead.

The judge was basically saying the NFL has to clean up its procedures.

There is debate about whether or not Brady cheated (and he may have), but its appears unanimous in both camps that Goodell is a boob. He just seems out of his league or completely misguided in legal matters.

And this post is coming from a strong anti-cheating person and Green Bay Packers fan. If first time caught steroid users were banned for life and their stats erased from the books, that would be fine by me, and I early on felt that substantial penalty-- perhaps even loss of that close playoff game-- was warranted for illegally deflating balls. But the NFL mishandled the whole thing so thoroughly-- intentionally releasing false PSI rates then refusing to publicly correct it even when it was soofafter shown to be false, 'independent report' edited by their lawyer who they prevent from being interviewed, switching charges between conviction and sentencing, etc etc etc-- I now give the benefit of the doubt to Brady. In particular due to the intentionally false PSI rates that was the impetus for the whole uproar, I'm no longer even certain there is proof the balls were illegally deflated. Maybe they were, but anything the NFL says on the matter shouldn't be considered serious evidence.

Last edited by drcy; 09-05-2015 at 02:06 PM.