View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 PM
M0rrie Mu||ins

Not a chance.

The reason I like back-stamps is that they're part of the history of the card, and reflect a time when card collecting hadn't turned into some ridiculous industry and the question of "Should I stamp or not?" wasn't even something to be considered - since why wouldn't you? It's just a picture of a ballplayer, to the folks who stamped them back in the day.

I like that I can go and google (for example) Milton Fuegy and find out that the guy who owned one of my cards was born in 1897, which means that he may have been 12-14 when he got the card, and that he ended up drafted for WWII as part of the "Old Man's Draft" in 1942, and whatever other stuff Google would've told me if I'd clicked more links. It adds a richness to the card's history for me.

Having some modern collector's stamp would be a huge turn-off. It adds nothing to the card's historical interest value.

Important collections get denoted on the flip. I like that suggestion as a way of leaving a modern collector's "mark" on their collection.