View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'm going to offer a counterpoint to the naysayers.

I got a bunch of Mays autos through the mail in the late 70's and early 80's and they look just like the one you posted. Listen, people around here will always tell you these are 'secretarial' or signed by his wife or whatever, but I don't buy it. To me, his signature has simply evolved over the years. It's important to note that when I wrote to Willie back then, it took the better part of a year if not longer to receive my SASE back. That told me that he just sorta let things pile up until he finally got around to signing them. I would think if he had someone signing things for him, they would've been pumping things out rather quickly. That's just an opinion, but I think it's valid.
I appreciate the counterpoint. I would just offer as a counter-counterpoint that the EBay listing states that the signature was acquired at the HOF in 2001 or 2002. I am assuming this means an in-person autograph during the HOF weekend. As I mentioned in the OP, I have a Topps certified Mays autograph from 2001 (thanks, Diamond Giveaway!) and it is of the more recognizable unreadable style.

But, interesting read. Thank you.