View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Anyone ever get an offer on a card that was too good to refuse that you took it even if you didn't need the money or want to lose the card? I could use a few anecdotes on this topic.
Many times, especially back when I was accumulating T206 'errors'. I would actually have collectors beg me to sell them a card and I would give them a number, telling them I felt guilty about such a high number (which I did), but that I really didn't want to sell the card. I ended up selling all of them. I won't say I regretted selling any of them, but I didn't actually want to. I used the money to buy other stuff which I probably sold and repeated the process, so no concerns about prices. The lesson I learned is that if you don't want to sell something, don't ever offer it for sale.

Opposite example - I purchased a bunch of cigar boxes just to get at the small EPDG box that I don't think anyone had ever seen before. I had someone contact me telling me that they were a descendant of the man who created the company, that they really wanted the box, but they couldn't afford to pay any more than some very trivial amount. I had no real attachment to it, so I sold it to them for next to nothing, knowing it was worth a lot more but thinking they were keeping it for sentimental reasons. I saw it auctioned less than a year later, and it of course brought a heckuva lot. I'm not real great at listening to sob stories any more when it involves collectibles.