View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I started collecting this subset for reasons I don't even remember about two and a half years ago. It started with a raw McIntyre (Brooklyn and Chicago) that I received in a lot. The card was in decent shape, but not good enough to send away for grading. I believe that I checked T206Resource.com to see how many cards were in the subset. Only 46! Wow... that will be easy. Sweet Caps are common backs and fewer than fifty cards. Sure, a Cobb, a WaJo, a Matty, a Cy Young and eleven other hall of famers, but this will be a piece of cake.

A few months later I picked up a card on the BST with a factory 42 back. When I received it, I went to check it off my 'needs' spreadsheet and it wasn't on there. I double checked T206Resource.com and the Ames (Hands at Chest) was marked as a "Probable No Print." I checked eBay and actually saw another, so I decided to consign it as the first find, and then buy one later. I never saw another one. Thankfully, I was able to track down the winner of the auction and was able to trade to get it back recently.

The Dougherty (Arm in Air) is another really tough one. I saw two or three right when I started the subset over two years ago, but another one didn't become available until just a few months ago on eBay. It was a beauty of an SGC 70 which would make it by far the highest graded card in my collection. An SGC 60 just ended on eBay recently, but I was the under bidder. I've only seen five of these cards, and only four of the Ames in this time frame.

The last card to pick up was the Evers (Yellow Sky, Chicago on Shirt). I think one board member has a high grade version, but I haven't run across any others. I've also only seen a couple of Cobbs and a few of the Chase Blue Portrait.

Unfortunately, thinking this would be an easy task, I didn't really keep track of the "tough" cards once I obtained them because I simply stopped looking for them. The Exclusive Twelve cards are by far the easiest to find. I now regret not keeping tabs on occurrences of the other 35.

If I were to guess, I'd say that I may have the only completed subset of Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 42. Some of these are roughed up cards that I will upgrade over time. Next step, the Factory 30 subset!

That is very cool, congrats. (sometimes I am late to the party)