View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Picked up my White Whale

My father was in possession of one of these for all of 10 minutes in '94 or '95. These were crazy tough to come by period. Even harder pre EBay days in Austin. Right as the show started some one brought some beat up 50's FB to our table and wanted to do some trading. My dad flipped through it and didn't find much, until near the end.

A 1952 Large Lansford. This card was not for the faint of the heart. It had two diagonal creases and 3 or 4 horrible corners. My dad told him it was rare and he was interested.

We were mostly vintage and regional/oddball dealers. He kept around modern stuff to keep a few customers happy and to pay the rent on the store. He personally abhorred the modern stuff.

I remember the look on his face when the guy asked for a few '89 UD Griffey rookies. Guy was happy. My dad was happy.

We had a half price case that did really well during the shows. He hadn't put the sign up that denotes the discount. He marked the price of $400 on it and told me that half of it ($200) was his "did not want to sell price" but if they wanted to pay it it was theirs.

About a minute after he puts it in the case someone walks by then does a literal double take. I don't believe an actor could replicate how perfect this reaction was. He was already taking the cash out of his wallet as he asked to see it. As soon as it was in his hand the $400 was on the table and he walked away smiling.

He was flabbergasted.

I have wanted one since that day about 20 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.9 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by Laxcat; 09-19-2015 at 03:44 PM.