View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Jeff P0tter

Research has been completed on this ball. It was signed on October 19, 1952 at Texas League Park in Oklahoma. Warren Spahn's All Stars played a charity game against Allie Reynolds All Stars, with each team fielding major leaguers and minor leaguers from Oklahoma for the game. I will put an AP news article at the bottom of this post with info about the event.

I hope others found this research interesting, and thank you to those who chimed in to assist with names. It would have been very easy to just list this ball for sale with the easy to identify names, but a little extra effort in this case pinned the ball down to an exact date and I think that makes it much more appealing.

"Reynolds and Mantle on losing Side in Y. M. C. A. Game. Oklahoma City, Oct. 19.(AP) —Lefty Warren Spahn of the Boston Braves bested Allie Reynolds, world series star, and Lou Kretlow in the annual Y. M. C. A. benefit baseball game today before 9,789 fans, 2 to 1, on six hits. Spahn, from Hartshome, Ok., spotted the opposing nine of big leaguers to one* run in the first inning but only once thereafter did they get a man as far as third. Spahn also turned hitter, singling and doubling, then scored the winning run in the seventh on Jerry Snyder’s high bounce to second. Snyder plays for the Washington Senators. Mickey Mantle, who with New York Yankee teammate Reynolds played on the same side, was held to a single in four trips and once struck out with two men on base."