View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Set Collectors Advice

Any advice for a collector who would like to seriously work on a set, but is just...uh, distracted easily?

For more years now than I care to remember (probably close to 25) I've said that I want to collect a complete 1956 Topps set. The problem is I can never get very far into it without getting distracted by single star cards (ooh, nice '63 Yaz! And look at that '58 Aaron!) The closest I ever came was in college when I came a few cards short of obtaining every New York Yankee in said '56 Topps set.

Any tricks as to discipline to stay focused? I don't typically buy cards in lots, which is something I suppose would help. Already have a good start on '56 in that I have the Mantle, Williams, Mathews, etc. plus a couple of commons...but motivation-wise I suppose it comes down to the fact that I know I will get bored chasing a Fred Hatfield card when I could be looking elsewhere at Willie Mays. Does anyone else have this problem? I suppose HOFers can get boring in their own right... I think I just need something to help change my paradigm.

Thanks!
-John