View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The only Mantle card in my collection up until a couple of years ago was a beat up 58 world series batting foes Mantle/Aaron that might grade a 3 if I ever sent it in. I'm sure I never will. I've had it since I was a kid and I still love it. Only in the last year or so was I able to add a couple I always dreamed of. I'd still prefer better condition but they are cool to have. Hopefully you'll be able to add to your 56 as well.
I too had the '58 Mantle / Aaron as a kid, and thought it was about the coolest thing in the world. 😀 I can still see it sitting there in a thick screw-down case under showcase glass at the old Red Lantern hobby shop in Cotswold Mall in Charlotte, NC. Persuaded my mom to shell out for it; can't remember what the price tag was, but had to be under $100. I eventually traded that one (must have been VG-ish, and I recall it being off-center) and replaced it much later as a young adult in my 20's with a real nice one - like EX-MT to NM and well-centered. That one lasted only a few years before falling victim to what I now refer to as my "dealer-scum" phase, where I wound up gradually buying way more cards than I could afford....and of course had to sell most of them off.

The '56 Topps Mantle is one that (fortunately) I held on to from childhood. Traded everything I carried into a shop for it one day along about 1990. Worth it. Also only about a VG card, but I wouldn't trade the memory for anything.