View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Brian clif.ford

I'm pretty young myself ,(21) but I was a batboy for the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League. I had a private lesson with Willie Upshaw once. He was a nice guy but, when my sister (whose husband got me the job) asked how I did I'm pretty sure he just kinda laughed. I always thought that was great because I'm definitely no athlete. I met a lot of great guys when I did it. Most of the players in the league at very least were, in affiliated ball, with a lot getting to triple A and the big leagues. Juan Rincon was awesome. Adam Greenberg might have been the nicest guy I've met. The managers were always pretty cool. Sparky Lyle would always talk to me. The best story I think, was from Andy Etchebarren. This one umpire was being a real piece of work one night and kept yelling at me of all people. He wanted me to be faster which I've never heard an umpire tell a batboy before or after that in my life. I was the away batboy and Etchebarren and some of his guys were getting real mad at the ump. He was really cool to stand up for a batboy and tell me not to worry about and he said other things I cant really type here! A ton of great guys in that league. Without naming any names I will say it seemed like the guys who were the bigger jerks were the ones who had less MLB and upper minor league experience.