View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 12:30 PM

I don't own a Sid Luckman card, but I have tons of admiration and respect for the man. Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, and reading THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE sports section each day from age 10-on, I began learning about the history of the Bears, and of course Sid Luckman was well-spoken of in our area.

When the Chicago Bears were known as "THE MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY", Mr. Luckman was their quarterback. When the Bears were at their zenith as a franchise, Mr. Luckman was their quarterback. When the most lopsided NFL championship game was played, it took place in 1940.

Bears 73

Redskins 0

Mr. Luckman was the quarterback for the Bears in that game.

Records are meant to be broken, but that kind of history is PLYMOUTH ROCK-solid. The Bears of '41 were the best of that bunch. The only game they lost was a cliffhanger to the Packers at Wrigley Field late in the season. It was so tense, several fans suffered heart attacks at the game. From what I recall reading of that thriller, sadly, two were fatal.

What a powerhouse the Bears were that season! I thought their home uniforms were so cool---midnight blue with small semi-gloss satin orange-red numbers.

Long live Sid Luckman's memory.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 11-14-2015 at 12:33 PM.