View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Default Mount Rushmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I thought about Secretariat, but there is someone else who blows him away. As great as the Belmont, setting a world record on the final leg of the triple crown, it pales in comparison to what Jesse Owens did at the 1935 Big Ten Championships. In 45 minutes, he set 3 world records and tied a fourth. That was the greatest feat in sports history. If I were to include someone on this list for a short career vs. those others with decades of accomplishments, it would be Owens. We all know what he did at the Olympics, winning 4 gold medals in the face of Hitler and the Nazis, but that was only his second best achievement. He would be more deserving than Secretariat in my opinion.
You make valid points except for one big difference between what Owens accomplished versus Secretariat. Jessie Owens records have been long shattered while Secretariat's amazing feats have withstood the test of time. Yes, even in lieu of all the progressive training, technology and track enhancements over the past 42 years, no horse can come close to his most hallowed records. That is why SEC stands tall above the rest. In 1973, he set 6 track records, 2 official world records and 2 "unofficial" world records "pulling up" 1/8 mile AFTER the wire. 3 track records still stand, as well as 3 of those 4 world records holding firm. The only world record not holding up was his 9 furlong peformance in the Marlboro Cup, surpassed by only a single horse by 1/5 of a second! His world class combination of sheer speed and staying power (sprinter & distance running) is unparalled in thoroughbred race horsing history. Even the immortal Babe Ruth has seen most of his legendary records fall, yet no horse can even come close to what Secretariat accomplished. Remember how Babe Ruth amazingly out homered most TEAMS in the early 1920s? Well consider the great American Pharoah being crushed by 57 lengths in the combined 3 Triple Crown races....that says it all!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 11-17-2015 at 05:13 AM.