View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 03:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Growing up in the 80s, I knew what "Mint" was and I knew that there were other grades, but I couldn't have told you them. But I only collected 86-93 sets, so all of the cards should have been mint.

Now that I'm in to grading, I'm working on mid-grade sets of cards that no one else has actually put a graded set together on yet. One is T51 Murad College Series and the other is T56 Emblem series. So although I'm shooting for VG/EX average, I'll be the top set in the registry for a while until someone else decides to start working it. I don't think I'll become competitive at that time, but I did grab a beautiful EX/MT-ish raw set at market price of the T51s and will be grading most of them to either have or replace my PR/FR/GD level cards.

So my recommendation is to pick a set that you like that nobody else has created a registry for, and start one. It could be a 50s/60s oddball set or some non-sports set that appeals to you. That way you can be #1 for a while, and possibly provide better visibility for that set, and the value may increase if others jump in.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.