View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Yes, I did see it. It made me very sad, but not sick. I can imagine some kid at the time thinking the frame was unnecessary and doing away with it. Considering these were free on the back of cereal boxes, I figure there's nothing to feel sick about some kid making the card the way he wanted. It's sad that that was the fate of that particular card, but mine ended up in the dump. Which is worse? Like you, I was 6 when these came out in 1960. When I think about it, I'm sure the condition of my post cereal cards was not that great. I'd be willing to bet that I let the scissors stray inside the border. I handled mine constantly so I'm sure there were creases, bent corners, etc. Instead of feeling sick about it, I marvel that any survived in decent condition.
AUSTINMIKE---

You are right on all counts. It would be far better to have that glorious picture of Mickey Mantle, than not have the card at all.

I guess where I was coming from is that I interpreted from viewing the piece that the gent recently cut up a card having a damaged frame, submitted it, and PSA gave its AUTHENTIC, which in fact is justifiable. At least the picture area had been preserved well, which counts for something.

Moreover, on the side of the cereal package, the company provided explicit instructions as to how to mount the card. Without having them in front me, you were to fold the corner frames outward, following the frame line at each of the four corners. Once done it would resemble a three-dimensional framed portrait of the star. Like most six-year-olds, you would not have been able to read the instructions, though most kids that age would tend to seek the help of a parent or older sibling, if one had one. The instructions were carefully illustrated, however.

Me, I never got a Post Cereal package with the Sports Stars. Boy they were beautiful!

Your fascinating response of your own experience with the 1960 Post Cereal Mantle was marvelous, and so epitomizes what I wrote in my book's second chapter, where I discus this particular card. If I ever do a revised version, I would love to include your brief, pertinent story and comments if I may.

I love our gent's 1959 Bazooka Mantle. That's part of the focus of my book's eighteenth chapter. Mine's SGC AUTHENTIC. I'm extremely fond of this card, having bought it from none other than Lionel Carter, in the summer of '72.

All the best. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-01-2017 at 03:17 PM.