View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 02:30 PM

I agree with you on the double/triple print variation. That is another grey area. I tend to view these as variations. My basis for this is in the 1952 Topps set every single card was at least double printed, but the only known A sheet/B sheet variations come in the 6th series - where Topps folks admit that they threw the series together as fast as they could in order to try to get it out that year. So you wind up with two different Mantles, Bobby Thomsons and Jackie Robinsons - but also with two different Campanellas variations. You don't have these A sheet B sheet variations in the first 5 series. Just the last one that was haphazardly put together. I'm not as knowledgeable on other printing years - but it seems this type of error was pretty infrequent even though you might expect it to be relatively common if you have a card located on 3-4 spots on a sheet. So unfortunately, I argue for a master 1952 set (which no one has ever completed by the way - unless someone wants to send me a Reiser Grey back!) you need two Mantles.

Cheers,
Patrick