View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Totally not an answer for the prewar section but if I had the extra cash to devote I would be stocking up on 1984-85 Star 101 Jordans. I see those breaking the 10k mark within far less than 5 years. They are already building at a good pace.

The other card that will be skyrocketing in a few years is modern too. I see high grade Chipper Jones Desert Shield cards tripling in 2018 for his HOF election. The investors are just starting to get to that one. It would be a short window, but dumping them then could bring a nice profit.

Prewar has investment too, but it really goes on trends and I find very hard to predict. For everything that I can say I remember when I could get it for a few thousand there are just as many that I say the same thing for in reverse, meaning it sells for less than it used to.

That's why I buy what I like and the future be damned.
That first idea is not so good. They were still printing the '84-85 Jordans in the '90's, which is why PSA won't grade them. Our guess at the time was that of the original print run of 4,000, 14,000 or so were still around in NrMt-Mt or better, a hardly likely scenario for cards originally distributed at NBA arenas to kids and non-collectors. They were prevalent, and one dealer even had the audacity to claim exclusivity almost a decade after the initial print run.

I do like the Desert Shield Chipper Jones--6700 print run or so, and most (although not nearly all) actually went overseas, where they were roughly handled. Get one in NrMt-Mt TPG or better, and you'll do fine, even in the long run.

Larry A. Smith

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-04-2015 at 06:19 PM.