View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked up an orange Memorial Stadium 1971 World Series press pass the other day on EBay. Included with the pass were quite a few ticket stubs and four complete tickets to mid 1960s Giants games. The most interesting of the stubs can be seen below. I don’t know if they have any value but they sure were fun to research. The entire lot only cost me $50 I got at least that much fun out of them.

May 8, 1927 at Comiskey Park: The game featured four Yankee hall of Famers who contributed to the win; Ruth Gehrig and Lazzeri went 6 for 13 and scored seven runs between them while Waite Hoyt collect his fourth win of the season.

September 4, 1927 at Wrigley Field: The Cardinals turned a triple play that went Frisch-Bottomley-Maranville-O'Farrell-Frisch-Bottomley- Bell. Charlie Root earned his 24th win of the season. This game also featured seven future Hall of Famers in Frisch, Bottomely, Haffey, Maranville, Hartnett, Wilson, and umpire Klem.

September 25, 1927 at Wrigley Field: Charlie Root took the loss. The Waner brothers and Pie Traynor went a combined 7 for 12. When you add umpire Bill Klem, Hack Wilson and Gabby Hartnett this game featured six members of the Hall of Fame. The other umpire that day was Beans Reardon who despised Klem. Although he failed to earn induction into the Hall of Fame Reardon was a close friend of Mae West and she is said to have sent him a copy of a nude photograph every Christmas.

June 20, 1928 at Wrigley Field: Hall of Famer Jesse Haines earned the victory. This game featured eight future members of the Hall of Fame in Haines, Marranville, Bottomley, Frisch, Cuyler, Wilson, and Hartnett. The game also featured Umpire Cy Rigler. Rigler is probably best remembered for calling the famous "phantom catch" in the 1925 World Series. Earl Smith hit a pop fly into the right field corner; Sam Rice fell into the bleachers and came up with the ball in his glove. Rigler called Smith out and controversy ensued for the next 50 years. Upon Rice's death, a letter was opened and Rice affirmed he did catch the ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tickets.jpg (86.5 KB, 228 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)