View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Al

Default Who or what is Lew Stick?

Hi everyone:

Once in a while I run into a question that completely stumps me. Since we did this sort of thing once before with an outstanding result, I'm going to put this one to the board.

In the upcoming January LOTG auction, we're offering what is just about the coolest autographed item I've ever seen. It's a large poster that was created for Lou Criger, and signed by 49 deadball era figures at an old-timer's game sponsored by the Boston Post in September of 1930 at Braves' Field. If you're interested, you can read a little bit about the piece here.

The piece has been with Criger's family since it was given to him in 1930. It's very large, so each of the signatures is about 3" across. I've been lugging it around with me to shows, so maybe some of you have seen it.

It was pretty easy to identify all the names on the piece, with one exception. Underneath Jeff Tesreau's signature (second row, third from bottom), is written "Stick Stick Lew Stick." I have no idea what this refers to - is it a person? Is it a product, or an event, or a reference to a story?

I'm stumped. If anyone can figure it out, there's a $250 auction credit for the first person to , since it'll help me finish up my description on the lot!

Here's the piece:

What do you think?

-Al