View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Some interesting stuff there.

One thing that jumps right out is that the Lenox Murr'y looks very different. Could be the scan or the resizing to match, or that the name was printed apart from the rest of the brown. Are the Murr'y s one of the ones with a gray rather than brown name?

There's differences within series too, even for cards with the same backs. Most are a bit less obvious, but I think there's at least 3 different 150 series groups, and at least two 350 groups if not more.

I'm also thinking that cards printed for one series will differ from those printed for another almost all of the time. There are some obvious differences between 150s and 350's for at least a few subjects, and I think there will be some differences between the same subject as a 350 or 350-460.

I'm not up on ALC having different facilities, but it makes some sense that they'd use them if it saved on shipping.

One thing I want to check out is if there's any info locally on the company that made the orange borders. They were here in Lowell, and the orange borders share some pictures with T206. Probably just a stock picture usage, but interesting that so many of the same picture ended up in sets produced by different printers. Sometimes with a good deal of modification, but still the same picture. I'm hoping the local historical society has something, but it's a longshot. The best I can really hope for is to pin down the location, and maybe some info about the company moving here and shutting down soon after.

Steve B