View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
just incidentally the topps "chrome" and bowman "chrome" cards typically look better in my opinion. the topps "paper" and topps "chrome" will have the same pic, the chrome is just on a bit nicer stock. same story with bowman, but the pic is different than the topps product.

IMHO, the nicest looking cards out this year is the topps stadium club set. it has a nice candid portrait of harper. not an action shot, but full bleed photo with nice stock. unobtrusive lettering, etc.
Actually, this is a very good thread and summarizes (so far) what I have been thinking for years about modern baseball cards. I collected from wax packs from 1975-79 and then bought complete sets from 1980-84...and then that was it. Choices at the time, post 1980, were three different card companies, so I always went with what appealed to me the most from a design standpoint, which was often Fleer (loved the team logos on the fronts of the cards) or Donruss. Have tried to get back into modern card collecting several times since about 1994, but it has not lasted long at all; mostly because of the sheer number of product available. Now that Topps has the "license," it really does not help matters, as there is still (seemingly) a TON of product, and that includes Panini's foray into the game. Do you buy Topps "regular," chome, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Panini specials, Donruss ???

At least my local hobby shop owner is always very nice and patient with me when I visit, as I ask him:
1. What's the best product for you currently (what's moving)?
2. What's not moving?
3. What's the nicest looking product currently?

Evidently Panini's products, even without the full license, do VERY well. The hobby shop owner told me he has a customer that buys 60-80 boxes of a particular product every year. WOW.

I always end up gravitating to whatever modern card set features older players (or players I grew up with), so maybe the current game look and feel has left me behind?