Thread: DH to the NL??
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Guessing maybe you're more of an AL fan? No problem with that, but no NL manager would pull his ace (guy like Kershaw, Bum, Grienke, Scherzer, etc) in that situation unless there's something else at play (starter felt a twinge in his side... starter doesn't have his A stuff and has labored through 4 or 5 and at 100+ pitches). If a starter is cruising and is a guy who usually goes deep, I highly doubt pulling him in a tie game becomes a consideration until the 7th. Plus, if that pitcher is an all around "ballplayer" and can deliver in situations (bunt, butcher), or can just flat out hit (Bumgarner), he can greatly influence his manager's decision.
I'm more of a fan of consistency I guess than one league versus another. It makes no sense to have the two leagues playing the same game under a different set of rules. Maybe my example isn't the best or most plausible, but my point is that the game changes and I don't see any reason to NOT change just because something was a certain way 100 years ago. If the NL institues the DH, I'll be OK missing out on Madison Bumgarner "raking." The idea that Mad-Bum's .183 career average makes him more of a "ballplayer" than any pitcher in the AL over the last 4 decades is exactly the type of antiquated thinking that prevents changes from being made, in any walk of life. The game is going to change, just like anything, and I see no need to resist it just because it's not the same old thing I'm used to.